At St Cuthbertâs RC Primary School we use the Read Write Inc (RWI) programme to get children off to a flying start with their reading.Â RWI is a method of learning centered round letter sounds and phonics, and we use it to aid children in their reading and writing.
When using RWI to read the children will:
Learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts
- learn to read words using Fred Talk
- read lively stories featuring words they have learned to sound out
- show that they comprehend the stories by answering questions.
- When using RWI to write the children will:
- Â learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent 44 sounds.
- Â learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk
- Â write simple sentences
- Â compose stories based on picture strips
- Â compose a range of stories based on writing frames.
Rigorous assessment, tracking and tutoring ensure that St Cuthbertâs can guarantee progress for every child.Â One-to-one tutoring ensures that no children are left behind.Â Children have positive early experiences of learning to read – they are successful and progress quickly.
Workshops for parents take place in the Autumn Term. Please come and see the programme being delivered and learn how you can help.
Visit the website to see video clips and curriculum grids http://www.ruthmiskin.com/en/resources/national-curriculum-matching-grids/
Below is further information on how you can support at home and most importantly a useful guide on how to pronounce each sound!
Below is a link to a video clip which shows the programme in action and explains everything, especially âFred talkâ!
KS1 & 2 Â Reading Schemes – Oxford Reading Tree